Tuesday, January 15, 2019

Governor Jonathan Trumbull and Fort Stamford 1781-1783





Governor Jonathan Trumbull 
and Fort Stamford 1781-1783

Stamford, Connecticut

"In August, 1781 Gov. Jonathan Trumbull and the Council of Safety ordered construction of fortifications near Stamford to prevent a surprise attack from the enemy."[1]



"Whereas B. G. Waterbury hath advised with this Board respecting some small fortifications near Horsneck, and also hutting of his troops &c. : Resolved, that it is the opinion of this Board, that it be expedient for General Waterbury, as soon as may be, to erect some small fortifications to prevent a surprise from the enemy's horse, as he shall judge necessary, and to make choice of a strong woody ground where to hutt his troops when the season shall require, and that the same be properly secured as shall be judged best, and with such redoubts as are necessary."[2]



Fort Stamford Park










Fort Stamford
Fort Stamford Park, Stamford, Connecticut

DAR Fort Stamford Marker Stone Re-dedication Ceremony
Captain Matthew Mead Branch CTSSAR
Stamford Chapter CTDAR
The Stamford Historical Society

October 17, 1999


The Connecticut Line, Living History/Color Guard Unit of the Connecticut Society of the Sons of the American Revolution served as Color Guard for the event, and fired the musket salute at the marker stone re-dedication ceremony.



-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fort Stamford
Fort Stamford Park, Stamford, Connecticut

Captain Matthew Mead Branch CTSSAR
Fort Stamford Flag Pole Dedication Ceremony

September 30, 2001


The Connecticut Line, Living History/Color Guard Unit of the Connecticut Society of the Sons of the American Revolution and Sheldon's Horse, The Second Continental Light Dragoons served as Color Guard for the event.







1) Fort Stamford Marker, Stamford Bicentennial, Kiwanis Club of Stamford, Stamford Historical Society, Fort Stamford Park, Stamford, Connecticut.
2) The Public Records of the State of Connecticut from May, 1780, to October, 1781, Inclusive with the Journal of the Council of Safety from May 15, 1780 to December 27, 1781, Inclusive and an Appendix, Charles J. Hoadly, LL.D., Press of The Case, Lockwood & Brainard Company, Hartford, 1922, Pages 498-499; Fort Stamford A Concise Study, Ronald Marcus, The Stamford Historical Society, Inc., Stamford, Connecticut, 1973, Page 8.